Wednesday, March 26, 2008

03-26-08


This is my primary Bible. My NIV Life Application Bible. A birthday gift from Bruce back in 1995. I like to read other translations and other study notes, but I keep coming back to the first one I read cover to cover and my and favorite. And I love it when I'm looking up a verse and I find that it is already marked up from a previous study or sermon or contemplation.

Tonight in class I learned that Gethsemane means press. We think of it as a garden or an olive grove, but it was probably an olive press where Jesus "sweat blood" with dread for the coming separation from God. A big stone slab that squeezed the olives. Tremendous pressure, a huge weight. Like what Jesus faced.

I'd like to think that someday this Bible will be a treasure to be passed down. I write in it as much as I can to make it more personal. But even if it isn't, it is a treasure to me.

2 comments:

lynette said...

I am sure it will continue to be treasured by your kids.

nwscrapmom said...

I'm sure it will be treasured by family members in years to come.