Tuesday, July 22, 2008

07-22-08


DAY 4: GRAND TETONS NATIONAL PARK

The park was so busy (no evidence of less travel due to gas prices on this trip!) that we had to get to the Jenny lake parking lot early enough to get a spot. We took a boat across the lake and hiked up to Inspiration Point. It wasn’t a long hike, but it was 700 feet up. This hike was a trip highlight for Anastasia.

FAST FACT:
Junior Ranger programs are offered at about 286 of the 388 national parks. We visited 8 national parks or monuments, and the kids did the junior ranger program at all stops. We heard the Junior Ranger pledge a lot. But not nearly as often as the rangers. Mt Rushmore awards 800-900 jr. ranger badges each day.

“I am proud to be a National Park Service Junior Ranger. I promise to appreciate, respect, and protect all national parks. I also promise to continue learning about the landscape, plants, animals and history of these special places. I will share what I learn with my friends and family.”

3 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds like a neat program.

nwscrapmom said...

I figured travel would be down with the gas prices, too. I bet the hike was very pretty.

lynette said...

Sounds like a fun program. I bet the hike was great. Small wonder it would be a highlight.