Saturday, July 19, 2008

07-19-08


DAY 1: DRIVING DAY, LONGVIEW TO BOISE

We spent the first part of our journey on the Oregon Trail. Here we are at the Interpretive Center deciding which items to pack into our covered wagon. We didn’t have room for any personal belongings, just the necessities.

“If I was in a wagon train on the Oregon Trail, I would want to be in the middle. I wouldn’t want to be in the front because I don’t know where I’m going. And not in the back because of Indian attacks.” – Xander

FAST FACT:
The Oregon Trail was a 2,000 mile trek from Missouri to Oregon City and normally took 180 days. And I thought two weeks in the car was rough.

2 comments:

nwscrapmom said...

That looks like a fun activity. I'm not much into history... unless it is hands-on like that. Great lesson for the kids!

lynette said...

I'd have to agree with Xander, you'd find me in the middle too.