Saturday, May 31, 2008

05-31-2008


Since this was Xander's second to last game and Grandma and Grandpa Fischer traveled south the watch the game, soccer seems like a likely topic for today.


I think it is hilarious that Xander isn't flexible enough to perform well in wii fit, but I can capture photos of his body contorted in gravity defying poses on the soccer field. The Kickin' Carrots lost their game today, but they played well. Xander was playing defense, but note how close to the net he was. He likes to be where the action is.


At lunch we were discussing the popularity of soccer, so here are some interesting factoids:



  • Soccer is the most popular recreational sport for both boys and girls, and has been so for about 25 years.

  • However, professional soccer has been less popular in the United States than in Latin American or European nations.
  • The Major League Soccer is young and has few teams; it debuted in 1996.

I would MUCH rather got to a professional soccer game than a baseball game, but I guess I am in the minority.

3 comments:

Marie said...

It is popular...a huge bunch of my students play on teams. Great facts that you shared.

nwscrapmom said...

Very interesting facts. I can't say I've ever watched soccer.

lynette said...

Sorry, I'd much rather see baseball. I don't "get" soccer. Of course, I didn't like football much until Jared played and now I appreciate it on a whole new level.