Saturday, May 10, 2008

05-10-08

We had a busy, busy day today.

It all started with a 5K this morning at 8am. Anastasia has been in the Girls on the Run program for two years now, and today they had a community-wide non-competitive 5K event. It cracked me up, because every single girl wore the number 1. And it was a little shy of 5K (the chosen route was a quarter mile short of the 3.1 miles of a 5K). Girls on the Run is an experimental learning program for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The programs combine training for running with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development. Anastasia has been training for twelve weeks.

Anastasia and I both participated. Not sure I can say I ran, since I mostly walked with others I found along the route... Lorraine, Mrs. Myhre, Katie, Tina. Anastasia was in the front of the pack for awhile, and beat me by a good ten minutes. I hope she stays active!

“I don't exercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor.”
- Joan Rivers

4 comments:

Marie said...

Good for you two. Sounds like a neat program she is in.

Beth said...

Way to go Anastasia! And Michele too! Sounds liek a pretty cool program.

lynette said...

It sounds like a really great program!

nwscrapmom said...

That sounds like a really incredible program. Maybe if there had been something like that when I was a kid, I would have enjoyed physical activity. Good for her for staying involved!

I'm cracking up over your quote... seems to fit my mood today.