Saturday, April 19, 2008

04-19-08


It was almost fifteen years ago that I interviewed with a company I had never even heard of, Weyerhaeuser. As I drove into the visitor parking lot that day, this is the view I saw. It took my breath away, to finally see up close this odd building glimpsed from I-5.

The building was completed in 1971. It is a famous and early examples of a large corporate headquarters complex that has been totally integrated with its natural setting, becoming an integral part of the landscape. The five-story, 358,000-square-foot building is also notable because it was one of the first major office buildings to embrace the open office concept.

I've never actually had an office in this building, there are also several surrounding buildings. But I found myself there again today for a meeting. Corporate Headquarters. I still love the ivy landscaped terraces with the Canada Geese acting like they are letting us hang out with them in their space.

2 comments:

lynette said...

Such a cool building! I remember it well.

nwscrapmom said...

I have memories of flying to Washington from Alaska to visit my Grandma over the summer and passing by that building. It always intrigued me. Thanks for posting about it... I never get up that way anymore so I don't see it!