Monday, February 25, 2008

02-25-08


Meet Rigging Ape.

He's been here as long as the building has been here, and he greets me every morning as I come through the front door.

Traditionally, the essential players in a logging crew are the hook tender, rigging slinger, choker setters and chaser. The rigging slinger instructs the yarer operator (who hauls the cabled logs to the log landing) to proceed or stop. They evidently have ape-like qualities; big and burley with long arms.

This statue was carved by a former employee. He creeps me out, but others are quite fond of him, and he is a huge photo opportunity for loggers traveling from other countries.

2 comments:

lynette said...

Very cool! He would creep me out a wee bit too but I'd respect him for it :)

nwscrapmom said...

He's definitely, um... different? I think I'd get creeped out by him, too.