Monday, February 4, 2008

02-04-08

Cyber pal Lynette gave us photo bloggers an assignment for February. Photograph a project around the house or scrap related that you keep putting off doing.

I have many to choose from, and several that I could use a kick in the pants to complete. But, I finally decided on creating and releasing travel bugs, since it was on my new years resolution goal list for 2007 and I never got to it.

Travel bugs are items that you attach a dog tag to and release into a geocache and have it travel around. People log their travels as they move about. They normally get lost (one of ours got vacuumed up at a car wash, another got buried in an avalanche), but it's still fun. In the last six months, two of our 25 previously released travel bugs have moved. Simpson's in Springfield, a Lisa Simpson figurine who wants to visit different Springfield's, is currently in a cache 2400 miles away in New Jersey. Geopian, a collection of pet pet zipper pulls who want to visit other geocachers who also play neopets, is currently in the hands of a geocacher near Connecticut.

I have three dog tags to attach an object, create a goal, and find a worthy cache to release them into. I'd like to drop the moose during our Yellowstone trip and see if he can find his way home. Dora can go explore something. I like the bible figure, but can't think of a good quest. Decisions, decisions...

I enjoy geocaching and especially love travel bugs. I'm hoping we will spend more time on this family friendly hobby this year. Right after the weather improves!

2 comments:

lynette said...

That is so cool! What a fun project!!!

nwscrapmom said...

Very fun, Michele! The only thing we have circulating is a geocoin... a breast cancer coin honoring my Aunt, a 35+ year survivor. It is currently in the hands of a cacher in Iowa. Everyone got travel bug tags in their stockings Christmas 2006, but not a one of has a released it yet. I just can't think of any ideas. Maybe we will bump into each other on the caching trail someday. :)