Sunday, February 17, 2008

02-17-08


One of the shots I got yesterday I liked only because it was a great close-up of my wedding ring. So I decided to focus on my hands today.

For the past 16 years, I have only worn two rings, and I will probably only ever wear two rings.

The first I got when I was 13. My father died in December 30th 1985 after a three month battle with brain cancer. I didn't know, but his favorite stone was the ruby. I have no idea how my mom was thinking clearly, but she always had a flair for the unconventional, so she went out and bought three similar but unique diamond and ruby rings. They were blessed as part of the funeral, and were given to the three gals he left behind - my mom, my sister, and myself. I've always loved the ring; the way it looks and what it stands for.

The second is my wedding ring. It is small, but I would never trade it for something bigger. It is a tribute to two college kids scraping by to set up a life together. Bruce proposed to me soon after he met me waiting in line at Mr. Toads Wild Ride in Disneyland (I thought he was joking!), and our actual wedding plans evolved gradually, so I got to pick out my own wedding ring. We went to
The Shane Company in downtown Seattle and put it on layaway. I thought it was perfect, and I still do. I love the gold swoop.

I'm chairing a women's event at church next month, and the theme is hands. Here is one of the favorite hand related quotes that I've come across, perfect for a Sunday where the message to the little ones was that when we are kind to others, we are reflecting God's love.

“We are all pencils in the hand of God.” Mother Teresa

2 comments:

Marie said...

Very pretty rings...great nails, too!

lynette said...

Beautiful tribute!!