Wednesday, February 6, 2008

02-06-08


Happy Ash Wednesday.

I have never been a big fan of Lent, but my heart is softening. I'm even thinking about giving up my second cup of cocoa at the office. But does it count as a sacrifice if I really need to do it anyway because of the calories? On these cold days it sure feels like a sacrifice. I seem to always be under an air vent.

Did you know that Lent is 40 days prior to Easter, but excludes Sundays? Did you know that Easter is on my birthday this year? Did you know that the ashes used on Ash Wednesday are supposed to be the remains of the palm fronds burned from the previous Palm Sunday?

Tonight we had a very meager dinner at church. We all go different directions during our Wednesday nights at church, but pastor made his way around to all of us to put ashes on our forehead. I stayed for the service, and he challenged us to go all the way home without talking to anyone. That is just too big of a sacrifice.

3 comments:

lynette said...

It'll be easy to remember your birthday this year!! Good luck with the cocoa.

Diana said...

I did not know that Sundays didn't count in the 40 days, I guess I never did the math :-). I did know that it fell on your birthday this year and I learned about the ashes being from last years burnt palms this year from our church bulletin asking for us to bring them in. It's been a very enlightening Lent already!

nwscrapmom said...

:) Giving up that second cup could be hard. At least for me... the ever-frozen popsicle girl.