Friday, July 17, 2009

07-16-09


Here I am on the glass bottom boat tour we took shortly after landing on Catalina Island.

When I was in high school I spent a week at marine biology camp at Catalina. My most vivid memories (besides being freezing cold from all the springtime snorkeling) was the bright orange Garibaldi fish.

The fish is named after the Italian revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi (who famously wore a bright shirt in battle), is the California state fish, and is most commonly seen off Catalina Island.

I was thrilled to see them swimming in the lovely blue water as soon as we disembarked from the ferry, and we saw many more on the boat tour.

Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us. ~Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

lynette said...

Very cool! I never made it to Catalina in all the years I lived in CA.