Thursday, December 31, 2020

12-31-20

 

It's been a sloth kind of year.

I wanted to coast for a bit.  I wanted to make progress on goals and self-improvement, but at a more leisurely pace.  I wanted to find more work-life balance, stop working so much overtime.  I wanted to get more comfortable with my role and future direction at Weyerhaeuser.  I wanted to spend more time hanging out with relatives and new friends.  I wanted to read and travel a lot and take my vacation.  I wanted to continue giving and saving. Every year I wanted to lose some weight.

The pandemic made some of these things impossible, but helped with others.

Weight gain, not loss with stress eating, plenty of days not leaving the apartment, and a closed fitness center.  I did wellness activities, like morning workouts, virtual yoga, 12k daily step goal, eating less red meat.  My work team stayed connected for good well being (I became the morning meme master), but it was difficult seeing our downtown so impacted by the pandemic economy and protest vandalism.  With limited church and socializing I did not build community or a volunteering outlet, but family time went virtual and helped us all cope.  We had visits with the kids and supported Mom through her long term care stress and move decisions.

We had two tenants unable to pay rent, and most tenants doubled their water usage (we’re not sure why or how), with no recourse to raise rent or evict, but we could have done worse and we did meet savings goals.  Less eating out and entertainment, more coffee and groceries, and finally done with college costs!

Overtime reduced with deadlines met and delays to the next phase of the project, and my five weeks of vacation were creatively burned.  We took a few trips (Victoria, Olympic peninsula, Longview Airbnb, San Antonio, overnight urban hikes) but bucket list travel is on hold.  I updated my resume and LinkedIn profile and got a good career mentor.  I also got plenty of reading done, including a focus on non fiction.  With 3 books clubs, read 56 books, the most in 10 years.  I took some project management courses and decided not to get certified.  I subscribed to One Day University and tapped into a lot of virtual events.  I kept up with BLM protests, explored social justice issues, and started writing an inmate in Portland.

All in all feels like a great slow and steady progress kind of crazy year.


No comments: